Saturday, April 18, 2009

Tiffany's "To Read" List

I thought I would share another book from my "To Read" list with you. Working in a library, my list keeps getting longer and longer, and makes me feel like I don't read enough :-) although I did read The Road, which I posted about last week, and I absolutely loved it! It was probably one of the best books I have ever read (right up there with The Art of Racing in the Rain.) No wonder it won the Pulitzer. Be looking for a review in the next week or so, and I believe I will be giving a copy away, too. Yay!

So this week I have chosen The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz. I started to read the book last November, but I became distracted with the holidays and have yet to pick it back up. The book is another Pulitzer Prize winner, taking the cake for 2008. It also won the 2008 National Book Critics Circle Award. We have the book in our collection, and it can be found at FIC DIA.

Synopsis:
Things have never been easy for Oscar, a sweet but disastrously overweight, lovesick Dominican ghetto nerd. From his home in New Jersey, where he lives with his old-world mother and rebellious sister, Oscar dreams of becoming the Dominican J. R. R. Tolkien and, most of all, of finding love. But he may never get what he wants, thanks to the Fukœ-the curse that has haunted the Oscar's family for generations, dooming them to prison, torture, tragic accidents, and, above all, ill-starred love. Oscar, still waiting for his first kiss, is just its most recent victim.


Click Here for an excerpt via The New Yorker

No comments: