Wednesday, April 1, 2009

My "To Read" List

Working here in the library, my list of books I want to read just keeps getting longer and longer, so I figured I would start sharing a title from my list each week. If you would like to share a book from your own "to read" list, simply email the title and your name (optional) to me at luv2read15@yahoo.com and I will post it.

So, two of the books on my list are Son of a Witch and A Lion Among Men by Gregory Maguire. He wrote Wicked: the life and times of the Wicked Witch of the West, which I absolutely loved and will probably read again someday. These two books continue his "Oz" stories. I am a fan of the Oz books by Frank L. Baum, and while I usually don't read spin offs, Wicked was so different and unique that it didn't bother me at all.


When a Witch dies-not as a crone, withered and incapable, but as a woman in her prime, at the height of her passion and prowess-too much is left unsaid. What might have happened had Elphaba lived? Of her campaigns in defense of the Animals, of her appetite for justice, of her talent for magic itself, what good might have come? If every death is a tragedy, the death of a woman in her prime keenly bereaves the whole world. Ten years after the publication of Wicked, bestselling novelist Gregory Maguire returns to the land of Oz to follow the story of Liir, the adolescent boy left hiding in the shadows of the castle when Dorothy did in the Witch.

A Lion Among Men complements the New York Times bestseller Son of a Witch in fleshing out the world of Oz, seen this time through the eyes of the Cowardly Lion-remembered from Wicked as a tiny cub defended by Elphaba. While civil war looms in Oz, an ancient and tetchy oracle named Yackle prepares for death. Before she can return to dust, however, the Cowardly Lion, an enigmatic figure named Brrr, arrives in search of information about Elphaba Thropp, the Wicked Witch of the West. As payment, Yackle, who hovered on the sidelines of Elphaba's life, demands some answers of her own.
The book synopsis' were found at www.barnesandnoble.com

No comments: